Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Indonesia - Day 2 - Seminyak

We started the day with a quick breakfast before being picked up for our tour. Our ride for the day was on of the coolest & unsafest cars Matt & I have ever been in - a convertible VW Country Buggy.

We were taken to Saba Beach for a guided horse ride along the black sand beach. My horse was named Bimbim & Matt's was Angel. Bimbim was not really in the mood for walking but we got along ok in the end. I think I enjoyed the horse ride more than Matt did.

Our next stop was up into the mountains to go white water rafting on the Ayung river. I was a bit nervous and wasn't sure that I could do it, but as always Matt gently encouraged me and was there for me the whole time. Once we made it down the 1000 or so steps to get to the river and were in the boat I felt a bit better, and after our first rapid I felt great. It was really fun bobbing along this beautiful river, we had to work as a team with a couple from India to paddle between the rapids. Don't worry Mum & Sue, they were baby rapids, at no point were we in any danger. Our rafting adventure went for 2 hours and was divided into 3 legs. We only have pictures & video from the 2nd leg, but I will try to describe it as best as I can. On the first leg, after a little while of paddling, going over rapids, & bouncing our boat to get off rocks, we saw a carving in the rock wall of the river. Our guide said it was a love story, highly detailed and carved for about 25m along the rocks and it looked like it went the whole way up the face. It was beautiful & I wish I had some photos of it. We stopped part way along for a few drinks & Matt swapped helmets so he could mount our action cam on it so he could film. The video goes for about half hour until the battery died, so we might trim it later and post it. In the middle of our second leg we came to a massive waterfall. We all got out of our boats and looked at it, Matt even went right under the falling water. Our next stop for some more drinks was fairly quick and then it was on to our final leg which had some slightly larger baby rapids. We got our picture taken going over the biggest rapid on the river. After it was finished we had to walk up another 1000 steps (seriously, I have never seen so many steps, it was like walking up to the big buddha 5 times). Once we got to the top we had the opportunity to dry off and get changed into our spare clothes (which I may have forgotten to bring) then to a full buffet lunch on the deck overlooking the rainforest.

We took the long way back in our VW with the top down, to see some of the Bali countryside and villages. Once we got back to our hotel, we floated in the pool for a while recovering from a big day. Dinner was in the pizza bar at the hotel, where Matt was happy to be watching some football.

It was a big day, with another one on the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment